The Sun had just appeared over the horizon and it’s enormous heat was clearly perceivable as it was already pouring on the clearing in Biskupice land. The dogs were highly reluctant to play and they were looking for shade, digging holes, they were sleeping all days long hoping that the Mother Nature would give them a bit of coolness. Only the puppies woke up from time to time, creating confusion and announcing their doubtless existence.
– Yo, girls, come to the garden, hurry up, we have to help our Lady – Goran, appearing from behind trick brushwood, terminated the blissful serenity of a sweltering morning.
– And what on earth has happened? – Bona raised her head proudly, slightly opening only one eyelid, hoping to close it any second and put her head back on still damp and emitting coolness peat.
-Hmm, I do not know precisely, but I reckon she is sad.
-Not sad, she is probably howling again! – Mania shouted
– What? But she often goes there to howl, I completely have no idea what for. Maybe if she howled at home and the master bit her because of that noise she wouldn’t do that so often.
– We can’t do that way. You never know what could happen. Let’s go there. Immediately! – Bona ordered.
– Last time, when she was howling she had a book in front of her. Quite recently, I took that book and nothing. I didn’t feel like howling at all, so after half an hour I tasted it. It wasn’t tasteful. Maybe she also thinks it’s not tasteful and she howls so badly because she has to eat something.
– Holy cow…..Mania! Did you eat Lady’s book? – Bona’s amazement was so enormous that even the puppies felt it and raised their heads peering at their mother’s reaction.
– No, I didn’t . I didn’t eat it, I just tasted it and there’s nothing wrong in it, is there? Why? Is it inedible? This book….?
– Don’t you all know that she writes down there everything? All the things that have happened. It is called a diary!
– A diary for crying? Hmmmm, Only humans can come up with such a useless idea.
– It is not useless. It’s a keepsake of them, of us all. Thanks to it, others would be able to know how our life looked like – Bona, satisfied with the view of everyone listening attentively, threw out her chest, raised her head slightly, and turning out proudly, she strolled towards the garden.
– Tittle – tattle. And so you feed us with some stories how it used to be some time ago. So what? Don’t you long to those days when your kisser was wiped after meals and you were driven instead of being told to run. It is better to forget. Your stories are good, but only to put babies to sleep – Mania never eased up. She was to utter the conclusive statement but as the rest wasn’t that much interested in her opinions, she often said it when they were quite far away.
After a short moment she did regret, however, that she is babbling again. She had been promising to herself thousands of times that she would behave the way a borzoi is supposed to behave. That she would run with her head slightly up and that she would refrain from biting all the strange men entering the premises. She had been promising to herself that she would eat more slowly and that she wouldn’t use mud and puddles to rest any more. However, her emotions always went first and her promises turned out to be rubbish. Mania is Mania. Probably , it will stay that way.. irrespective of her origin, she will remain herself. Despite all that, she truly enjoyed listening with her kids to her aunts’ stories about their ancestors. However, she always placed herself on the hay in such a way, as to show clearly that she doesn’t give a damn about those stories.